So I have Essential Oils, now what do I do with them? I know many of you have asked yourself that question when you first began to explore Aromatherapy. There is so much to learn! This is why I put together this simple guide to help get you started. But first, read these 2 blog post:
These blog post will help answer some of the most common questions and will set the foundation for the following guidelines below.
These are general guidelines. Every essential oil may not be suitable for some uses. Diluting essential oils is crucial when you apply essential oils to your skin. Do not take essential oils internally unless under the supervision of a Medical Doctor who is also qualified in clinical aromatherapy. Read more here. Essential oils should be stored in a cool, dark place, in dark amber or cobalt blue Glass bottles.
- Diffuser: Add up to 6 drops (depending on the size of the room) of essential oil blend to the well of your aroma lamp, be sure to add enough water. Follow the directions that came with the packaging of your diffuser.
- Therapeutic Bath Salts: Add 10-15 drops to 1 C. Epsom salt or sea salt and mix. Add 1 tbsp. castile or unscented soap + 1 tbsp carrier oil. Dissolve in bath water before getting in. Soak for 20 mins.**
- Milk Bath: Mix ½ cup powdered milk, ½ cup Epsom salts, ½ cup baking soda. Add 10 drops Essential Oils to mix. Dissolve in warm bath water. Or you may use 1 cup whole milk and blend with your Essential Oils.**
- Exfoliating Sugar Body Scrub: Blend in 4 oz plastic jar: ½ cup turbinado sugar, ¼ cup Carrier Oil, 10-12 drops Essential Oil. Do not use on face. May be used 1-2x/week.
- Roller Bottle: 5-8 drops Essential Oil, dilute with carrier Oil.
- Massage /Body Oil: In a dark glass bottle mix 10-15 drops to 1 ounce carrier oil of your choice. See dilution chart here
- Spritzers: Mix half purified water/half witch hazel. Use distilled water. To make a facial mist use 8-10 drops of essential oils per 4 oz., for a body spray 30-40 drops per 4 oz. and for a room spray 80-100 drops per 4 oz. Add EO’s first to a 4oz aluminum bottle with atomizer. Then add witch hazel. Mix. Then add water.
**Do not use these oils in the bath: include but are not limited to basil, oregano, thyme, nutmeg, cinnamon, clove, black pepper, lemongrass, and bay (Pimenta and Laurus).**
Which Essential Oils may help with….
State of Mind
Calming/ Relaxing: Lavender, Lemon, Amyris, Marjoram, chamomile, Patchouli, Lemongrass, Orange, Vetiver, Ylang Ylang.
Anxiety/Depression or the Blues:
Bergamot, Clary Sage, Eucalyptus, Geranium, Lime, Lemon, Grapefruit, Lavender, Orange, Patchouli, Rosemary, Ylang Ylang
Cedar wood, Geranium, Cypress, Lavender, Bergamot, Lime, Mandarin, Orange, Patchouli, Ylang Ylang, Lemongrass.
Eucalyptus, Juniper, Grapefruit, Cypress, Lime, Lemon, Orange, Peppermint, Tea Tree, Rosemary, Spruce, Fir.
Rosemary, Peppermint, Lime, Eucalyptus, Basil, Bergamot, Cinnamon, Juniper, Basil, Rosewood.
Bergamot, Lavender, Geranium, Basil, Lime, Mandarin, Lemongrass, Ginger, Grapefruit, Juniper, Peppermint, Rosemary, Frankincense, Eucalyptus.
Cedar wood, Juniper, Bergamot, Amyris, Patchouli, Clove, Lemongrass, Frankincense.
Rosemary, Juniper, Peppermint, Eucalyptus, Lavender, Frankincense, Ginger, Clove, anise, black pepper, balsam fir, spruce, Helichrysum, Orange.
Clary Sage, cedar, Lavender, Mandarin, Bergamot, Orange, marjoram, vetiver, Melissa, ylang ylang.
Ginger, Juniper, Geranium, Anise, Lavender, Rosemary, Frankincense, Orange.
Eucalyptus, Geranium, Ginger, Clove, Juniper, Grapefruit, Lavender, Lime, lemon, Rosemary, Peppermint.
Eucalyptus, Tea Tree, Cedar Wood, Spruce, Peppermint, Rosemary, Ginger, Frankincense, Ravensara.
Tea Tree, Rosemary, Lime, lemon, cinnamon, clove, Lavender, Eucalyptus, Bergamot, Cajeput, Ravensara.
PMS: Geranium, Clary Sage, Jasmine, mandarin, marjoram, Bergamot, Cedar wood, Grapefruit, Lavender, Juniper, Orange.
Hot Flashes: Clary Sage, Geranium, Lavender.
Balancing/Harmonizing: Geranium, Lavender, Jasmine, Amyris, Bergamot, Cedar wood.
Oils that are the most strongly favored by men include: Amyris, Patchouli, Basil, Cinnamon, Spruce, Star Anise, Scotch Pine, Marjoram, Juniper, Frankincense, Bay, Cypress, Ginger, Black Pepper, Vanilla, Vetiver, Sandalwood, and the citrus oils.
Recommended Book: The Complete Book of Essential Oils and Aromatherapy by Valerie Ann Worwood