You are staring at the ceiling. Your mind is going…and going….thinking about what you have to do the next day and so on. You wish you can fall asleep but you just can’t shut down. Has this ever happened to you? The daytime consequences of insomnia affect the overall quality of life and impact our work productivity and how we show up in our personal lives. Many who suffer lack of restful sleep experience fatigue, irritability, decreased memory and concentration, and just feeling out of sorts.
There are things you can do, however, to assist with getting that restful sleep you need. Everyone, in my opinion, should have some type of bedtime ritual. Soothe your soul and take time just for you. Yes, time for self-care, because you have had a long day, and you deserve It.
Here are a few tips to enrich your bedtime ritual and enhance your sleep:
- Disconnect – 30-45 minutes before bedtime shut the lights out. NO ELECTRONICS. As a matter of fact, it’s best to keep them out of your bedroom, including the TV!
- Diffuse Essential Oils in the room– Oils such as Lavender, Chamomile, Clary Sage, Cedarwood, Blue Tansy, Sweet Orange, Petitgrain and of course Sleep Eternity Blend are a wonderful aid to calm the mind and catch those Zzzs. Aromatherapy experts agree that diffusing oils 20-30 minutes at a time is sufficient, or no more than an hour.
- Have a warm cup of Chamomile tea– At least 1 hour before bedtime. Chamomile is a traditional remedy used for relieving stress and anxiety by calming the nerves and promoting restful sleep.
- Play calming music of your choice- while doing your nighttime activities such as brushing your teeth, washing your face, massaging your feet and hands with Heel Vitality.
- Gratitude– What are you grateful for today? Say it aloud, or write it in a journal.
- Just Breathe- Place your hands on your belly. Inhale for a count of 7. Hold for a count of 4 Exhale for a count of 8. Repeat 3 times. As you do this, you may do inhalations of Sleep Eternity Balm after massaging onto your pulse Points (inner wrist, etc.). This will help ground and center you to relieve stress.
- The Notepad– Keep one next to your bed. If you cant shut your mind down due to remembrance, write it and forget it.
What do you like to do to wind down? Please share!